INSTRUMENT OF GOVERNMENT GOVERNING BODY OF
ST. HILD’S CHURCH OF ENGLAND VOLUNTARY AIDED
1. The name of the school is St. Hild’s Church of England (Aided) School.
2. The school is a voluntary aided comprehensive school where the foundation is the
Parochial Church Council of the Parish of St Hilda’s, Hartlepool and the Parochial Church Council of the
Parish of Holy Trinity West View, Hartlepool.
3. The name of the Governing Body is "The Governing Body of St. Hild’s Church of England (Aided) School”.
4. The governing body shall consist of:
a) 2 Parent Governors
b) 1 Head Teacher
c) 1 Staff Governor
d) 1 Local Authority Governor
e) 3 Co-opted Governors
f) 10 Foundation Governors
5. Total number of governors 18.
6. Foundation governors shall be appointed and removed by the following bodies:-
a) Two Foundation Governors shall be ex officio as set out in paragraph 7a.
b) Two Foundation governors shall be appointed by the Durham Diocesan Board of Education after
consultation with the Parochial Church Councils of St. Hilda’s and Holy Trinity West View, Hartlepool.
c) Two appointed by Hartlepool Deanery Synod in consultation with the Parochial Church Councils of St Hilda’s and Holy Trinity West View Hartlepool
d) Two Foundation governors shall be appointed by the Parochial Church Council of St. Hilda’s, Hartlepool.
e) Two Foundation Governors shall be appointed by the Parochial Church Council of Holy Trinity West View, Hartlepool
7. a) the holders of the following offices shall be foundation governors ex officio.
The Incumbent or Priest in Charge of the Parish of St. Hilda’s Hartlepool, and
The Incumbent or Priest in Charge of the Parish of Holy Trinity West View Hartlepool.
b) The Durham Diocesan Board of Education, in consultation with the Archdeacon of the Archdeaconry within which the school is situated , shall appoint Foundation Governors, to act in the place of the ex officio Foundation Governors whose governorship derives from the office named in (a) above, in the event that the ex-officio Foundation Governor is unable or unwilling to act as a Foundation Governor, or has been removed from office under regulation21(1)of the Regulations or there is a vacancy in the office by virtue of which his governorship exists.
8. The Director of Education for the Diocese of Durham shall be entitled to request the removal of any ex- officio Foundation Governor and to appoint any substitute governor.
9. The Foundation Governors are the Trustees of the School.
10. “Recognising the historic foundation, the school will preserve and develop its religious character in accordance with the principles of the Church of England and in partnership with the Church at parish and diocesan level. The school aims to serve its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith, and promotes Christian values through the experience it offers to all its pupils."
11. This instrument of government comes into effect on 1st September 2015.
12. This instrument was made by order of Hartlepool Local Authority on 8th August 2015.
13. A copy of the instrument must be supplied to every member of the Governing Body (and the Headteacher
if not a governor) any trustees and to the religious body.