KS4 curriculum:

Students are entered for BTEC Animal Care Award

Years 9, 10 and 11 (BTEC)

Unit 1: Animal Health (External Exam)
Unit 2: Animal Handling
Unit 3: Animal Welfare
Unit 4: Animal Housing and Accommodation
Unit 5: Principles of Animal Behaviour

How will I be assessed?

There is 25% external Examination (unit 1)?A portfolio of work must be produced for each of the other units (at least 3 units worth 75%)

Each portfolio is a project that will be completed in class and through homework tasks.

The course has a large practical element (at Tweddle Farm).

Your teacher will mark your work.

Qualifications gained:

BTEC Level 1 or 2 Award in Animal Care

Level 2 Distinction* (*A)
Level 2 Distinction (A)
Level 2 Merit (B)
Level 2 Pass (C)
Level 1 Pass (D)

Equivalent to 1 GCSE A* - D

Pathways into further education:

Get a job and continue training with an NVQ
Go to college to do other level 2 courses or move on to a Level 3 course

Job opportunities:

Enter employment in the Agriculture/ Horticulture sector- veterinary assistant, equine studies etc

Back to Departments